History of 1930 Triumph Super 7 Roadster

Author: Jack Evans (NSW)
Posted: Fri 5 Apr 2024

It all began many years ago when my friend Bob Morgan presented me with bits and pieces of a Triumph Super 7. The “scraps” sat in the back of one of my sheds until it was suggested I should smarten myself up and restore the vehicle. At the time he was restoring TR2s, TR3s and TR3As.on and off, as you might say.

Image 1

The final outcome

Getting started
Image 2

Chassis differential, wheels, gearbox, engine bloack and steering box.

I started in 2006, gathering all the bits and pieces I had: a chassis here, a couple of blocks there, as well as:

  • three or four gearboxes in various stages of collapse
  • three or four steering boxes
  • half a dozen spoked wheels rusted from sitting on wet ground for years
  • tree differentials with completely wrecked worn wheels & bearings
  • various dubious looking axles & brakes completely seized up
  • All in all a complete wreck

    No body except various pieces of wood which meant nothing. No usable mudguards, no running boards. No bonnet, no windscreen, hood bows or hood. No dickie seat parts at all and no seats. I managed to find some crucial bits and pieces around Parkes and Bundanoon, NSW and others at Caloundra, Qld. So there it started … a very long way to go.

    Image 3

    Chassis, steering box and differential.

    A bit of history
    Image 4

    More beginnings

    In 1928,the Triumph Motor Company, England appointed Armstrong Cycle and Motor Co in Perth as agents for their new Super Seven. Percival Armstrong who headed up the family company at that stage, got tired of people coming into his showroom in Perth looking at the Super Seven on the floow and saying, “what a nice little town car.”

    The remark repeated many times got his back up and with his friend George Manley from Albany, decided to drive ‘this nice little town car’ from Perth to Sydney. So it was, that on 30 September 1929, he and George set off from Perth on route to Sydney.

    The Nullarbor Plain in those days, had no made up highway, just goat and camel racks, sandhills and claypans. They traversed the Nullarbor, got lost in the middle of South Australia , but came across a piece of corrugated iron nailed to a tree with a red painted arrow pointing to Port Augusta. Saved!

    On they went, through Wellington (SA), Melbourne and finally, Sydney. All this done in eight days and six hours. An amazing, epic journey. They stayed in Sydney for a fortnight and then drove the car back to Perth! It was put back in the showroom with all its glorious dirt and mire. No doubt many sales followed this unique display.

    Image 5

    More beginnings

    Replicating the journey
    Image 6

    Engine stripped down with magneto, crankshaft and pistons on right.

    It was learning about this trip that I decided it would be a great idea to replicate this journey from Perth to my home town of Armidale, NSW. I certainly did not feel brave enough to drive this car through Melbourne and Sydney in 2009 with those cities’ lunatic traffic.

    Actually the trip back to Armidale through Broken Hill is only 250km less than ending up in Sydney via Melbourne. The plan involved driving to Adelaide, putting the car on the train to Perth and then making the return journey to Armidale with my daughter Alison as co-driver.

    I had great assistance in Armidale from Lyn Hardman who has a marvellous collection of vintage cars, which are a wonder to behold. Also, Marriott’s Paint Shop, Troy Adams welding shop, Mal McFarlane’s upholstery works (especially Noel Adams who did the upholstery) and Mal himself who build the hood. To all, I thank most sincerely.

    Image 7

    Magneto after stripping down & re-winding before new bearings fitted.

    Image 8

    Engine after re-bornig & reassembly beginning (note chromed oil diller cap!)

    Most importantly, with the support of the Australian Lunch Foundation, I dedicated this trip to my wife Gill who died in 2006 from emphysema. I collected donations along the way for this worthy cause.

    After a delay due to sorting out “bugs” in re-building the 80 year-old car, the journey was put back to 11 October 2009.

    Progressive photos of the restoration.

    Engine reassembly complete.

    Image 9

    Engine after reassembly showing single roller timing chain

    Work on chassis

    Ready for engine and gearbox installation.

    Image 10

    Redesigned position of carrier for spare tyre.

    Image 11
    Work on the engine and gearbox

    Completed engine with gearbox attached being lowered on to completed chassis.

    Image 12

    Showing rebuilt steering box and steering wheel position.

    Image 13

    Head ready to set in place.

    Image 14

    Engine & magneto seen with "jury" rigged oil garage.

    Image 15
    Body frame

    Completed body frame.

    Image 16

    Hood bows design and fitted.

    Image 17

    Engine & re-cored radiator in position.

    Image 18

    Dickie seat frame installed with check straps in place.

    Image 19

    Completed framework less doors.

    Image 20

    Coachwood framework with hood bows fitted.

    Image 21

    Coachwood frame and doors fitted.

    Image 22

    Left side view of engine with HV 2 SU carburettor and air filter fitted.

    Image 23
    Internal fittings

    Dashboard and instrument panel in place.

    Image 24

    Rear footwell in place.

    Image 25

    Seat frames built with wire rolled seat.

    Image 26

    1 1/2" pipe jigs made up to form initial shape of mudguards.

    Image 27
    The finished product

    Photograph taken outside the workshop after first real test run.

    Image 28
    An error has occurred. This app may no longer respond until reloaded. Reload 🗙